27 May 2006

Jordan Offered Nuts

The reason why Auckland City's Keryn Jordan will almost certainly not become a New Zealand Knight this season, according to this NZ Herald interview with the hattrick hero from the Club World Championships qualification tournament:

What about the Knights?
The criteria was to do well in the national league, then join the Knights. But they signed John Adshead (as coach) who obviously didn't know much about the players locally at the time. I think he went on hearsay. I have an inkling who he was listening to - there was a bit of a conspiracy. For some reason, people didn't like me.

Mr Adshead didn't do all that well, did he?
Absolutely no comment.

But he's gone now, so is it time for a Knights' move?
They offered me a one-year contract, which was a bit of an insult. Paul Nevin was keen to have me there, but I feel the hierarchy had their say again. Paul sounds fantastic and has big plans, but my question is, "Will the management be able to back his ambitions up?"

You wanted more security?
Yes. With it only being a one-year deal ... basically it meant I wanted to get paid what their top striker was being paid, and it wasn't close. My theory is, if you want to pay peanuts, you will get a monkey. My focus has probably changed now. My career at James Hardie is my main bread and butter, and I have a lifetime of opportunity there.

At least Jordan has the Club World Championships to look forward too, something the Knights will certainly never be able to offer him due to their exclusion from the Asian Champions League.

The Knights must now be desperately hoping to clinch a deal with Vaughan Coveny in order to bolster their ranks up front.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Time to cut the cancer.